Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Safety First

Everyone knows David Wright got beaned in the head hardcore style a couple of weeks ago from Lookalike Friday Alum Matt Cain. Some may have heard about this new batting helmet that he said he would be willing to wear because it can withstand a 100mph pitch. By withstand, I'm guessing that means the helmet stays intact and the wearer suffers damage less than that necessary to cause a concussion.

I looked up what this legendary batting helmet looked like. Ladies and gentlemen the Rawlings S100.



I had read that players were reluctant to wear the hat because it made them look silly. Ryan Dempster said he felt like it was his "own bobblehead night" while he wore it. I saw the above picture of the batting helmet and thought, "OH God! Here comes the athlete invincibility complex. If I were a baseball player I would wear this thing in a heartbeat."

I watched some video from Rawlings executives outlining the safety features of the helmet and wondered why they never showed a picture with someone wearing it. I got my answer tonight.



Here is David Wright in his first game back from injury and immediately I thought, "OH God! No wonder they don't wanna wear that thing. It makes you look like the Great Gazoo."



After looking at the size of the helmet I was actually disappointed that it wouldn't protect you from something worse than a 100mph fastball. I would have expected something like that to protect you from a falling piano or a hand grenade. The fact that Jon Broxton could still hurt you despite wearing that helmet is a bit disappointing.

Would I still wear this helmet? Absolutely. I would rather look like a fool than risk my career. But I think I would swap out to the more traditional hard hat when on the basepaths.

I think they really need to consider making at least some kind of reinforced hat for pitchers to wear. I'm talking about less protection than the hats first and third base coaches wear, but more protection than a wool 5950 New Era cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment