Friday, August 28, 2009

The fourth most important World Series

1. MLB World Series
2. World Series of Poker
3. College World Series
4. Little League World Series

When I was a kid, I never played baseball. Truth be told, I've never played a game of actual baseball in my entire life. I think it's funny considering how much I love the game of baseball.

Maybe it's for that reason I don't really watch the Little League World Series. I can't relate to the kids playing. But then again, I played youth basketball and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't tune in for any sort of child basketball tournament.

I also don't really like college baseball. Other than Cal, I'm not a huge fan of college sports in general. Why? I don't like watching sports that don't feature the best. I don't care that they play harder. I don't care that they aren't "playing for money." I do care that the play is sloppier and that they make a lot of mistakes. Maybe that's why I don't like the Little Leagie World Series.

Maybe it's just because I'm not a huge fan of kids, as I've recently discovered. I don't like certain things kids do like jump up and down and hug each other and cry when they lose and overreact to everything. I don't like watching it because I used to be like that, and while that's endearing to some, it's painful and embarassing to me. Except for the crying thing. I honestly never did that. I was never a big enough contributor to any team to feel disappointed when we lost.

In any case, you could imagine my surprise when I stayed up until 1am watching the replay of Warner Robins, GA vs Chula Vista, CA on ESPN2. It was a pretty fun game to watch. Despite the wild pitches, despite the baserunning errors, despite the millions of timeouts called, I was captivated and enjoyed the game. Weird huh?

I figure there must be a reason they show the Little League World Series at all. Adults, for the most part, must really enjoy watching it. I thought it was interesting that as a kid you enjoy watching the adults, but as an adult you could enjoy watching the kids.

I probably enjoyed this specific game because of all the offense it provided, its close finish and also because California won. We'll see Saturday when I tune in for the semifinals.

Oh and by the way, the best part BY FAR was not hearing all the kids name Chipper Jones their favorite player. Now that player is Albert Pujols.

No comments:

Post a Comment