Thursday, September 17, 2009

I can't believe I used to worship this guy

I sure hate to kick a man when he's down, but the more and more I watch Michael Jordan's train wreck of a speech, the more and more I can't believe how self absorbed this guy is. I don't know which famous Chicagan thinks more people are out to get him: Michael Jordan or Steve Bartman. Honestly the best part of the speech was when he read off of a piece of paper at the end. That part was genuinely good. He should have done that for the entire speech. Jordan shooting from the hip killed not only his reputation, but also the evening as a whole.

He didn't say one genuinely nice thing about even his own family. He said his 5 foot 5 brother is an example of "small things coming in small packages." WTF?!?! The closest he came to a compliment:

"My mom, what else can I say about my mom?...She's a rock, she's unbelievable...she constantly keeps me focused on the good things about life..."
so far so good...
"...how you're perceived publicly, second thought, take a pause, think about things that you do...it all came from my mom."

Hmmm...so thanking your mom for your tact in perhaps the most tactless speech of all time? Maybe you should have left that part out of the speech, Mike. Unless that was a jab at her too. It certainly would have fit the theme of the rest of the speech.

I was a huge fan of Michael Jordan as a child because of his amazing skills on the basketball court. I still definitely respect what he has done as a basketball player, but I'm glad I don't know him personally.

I just hope Kobe Bryant learns from this debacle because he and Jordan seem to have similar personalities. I hope when it comes time for the Kobe Bryant Hall of Fame induction speech, he is able to conduct himself with more class and dignity than Jordan.

1 comment:

  1. good article along the same lines. I don't know if you already saw it.


    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4477759

    ReplyDelete