Monday, October 26, 2009

World Series Preview

So I was wondering what the experts were saying about the World Series.

9 of the 10 experts on ESPN.com have the Yankees in an average of 6.4 games.
The lone expert who has the Phillies (Karabell) has them winning in 6.

whatifsports.com, which simulates 10,001 games predicts Yankees in 6.

Yahoo! Sports (which has secretly become a credible sports news source) has 3 experts picking the Yankees in 6,7,7 and one expert picking the Phillies in 7.

If I was an "expert" I would pick the Phillies in 6. Why?

If you're wrong, who will notice? If you're right, you're a sage of baseball wisdom.

However, I'm no expert. I'm just a dude who writes occasional entries on a sports blog. I say the Yankees take it in 7.

Game 1: Phillies - The Phillies will get late game hits against the Yankees bullpen and steal game one.
Game 2: Yankees - Pedro will get lit up. Yankees will cruise.
Game 3: Phillies - Hamels returns to his form of last year.
Game 4: Yankees - In basically a must-win the Yankees come up with just enough to win.
Game 5: Phillies - Burnett can have really bad games. This may be one.
Game 6: Yankees - They will win this game in the 8th or 9th.
Game 7: Yankees - CC got rocked versus the Phillies on short rest last year. Not this year. CC dominates and the Yankees win easy.

These predictions will probably be wrong, but who knows? Like I said earlier, if I'm wrong nobody will remember, but if I'm right I can always point back to my prediction. I think that's the luxury people who comment on sports have. Each analyst and expert on TV should have a scorecard on how accurate he/she is on his/her predictions and speculations.

Here are a few of my assorted thoughts on what I've observed while watching the MLB Playoffs so far.

- Charlie Manuel's tendency to bring in multiple relievers seemingly for no good reason may end up biting him because the Yankees have been more clutch than the Dodgers and Rockies have been.
- The Phillies eat up "good bullpens."
- The left handed batters of the Phillies will be able to turn on some balls to hit into the right field bleachers in New Yankee Stadium, if given the opportunity.
- Wasn't Phil Hughes supposed to be the-next-thing in New York?
- Pedro is supposed to not be comfortable pitching in the cold. No way to avoid that this series. That's why I think he'll struggle.
- Who pitches for the Phillies in Game 5? Blanton? It won't be Pedro on short rest.
- Cliff Lee has NEVER pitched on short rest. He will have to do it this series, possibly twice.
- A.J. Burnett for his career is 4-0 with a 2.33 ERA on 3 days rest. CC Sabathia is 3-1 with a 1.01 ERA for his career on 3 days rest. Not a huge sample size, but still inspires confidence.
- Have the Yankees ever had so much fun? They haven't won as many games in recent years as they have this year, so that probably adds to it, but they are a really loose, fun bunch to watch.
- Who will the Phillies use as DH?
Matt Stairs? Matt Stairs as a DH has a career .260 BA with 61 HRs in 1452 ABs.
Greg Dobbs? Greg Dobbs as a DH has a career .259 BA with 1 HR in 108 ABs.
Probably some combination of both, but the Yankees will have a clear edge at home with respect to the DH.
- The All-Star Game win for the AL has no bearing, as the Yankees would have had home-field advantage anyway. They really should do away with that. Call it a tie, who cares?

Whatever the case may be, I really am hopeful for some great, memorable games. I didn't think I would watch much of the World Series after the Dodgers were eliminated, but I think I just may.

No comments:

Post a Comment