Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Not another Brett Favre story

I'm sick of Brett Favre.

Brett Favre, like steroids, only deserve one post from me on this blog. This is the lone post.

I feel like Favre could have played John Travolta's role in Pelham 123 because he's been getting pretty good at holding franchises hostage. He held the Packers at gunpoint for a couple of years, practicing his "I don't know if I want to retire" speech, and telling the media "I never wanted to retire, but they made me." The Packers finally stood up for themselves and moved on. Now they have a future.

Now Favre has the Vikings ready to meet his demands, and it's a shame that a franchise can be that desperate for a quarterback who is, quite frankly, mediocre at best. Most of the practice taking place right now on offense with the quarterbacks and wide receivers will mean very little when Favre comes to town because he has to establish timing and learn the tendencies of his receivers. Likewise, the rest of the offense has to learn how to play with Favre as well. Namely, they'll have to learn to keep and eye on the play because you never know when he's going to throw a careless interception and you'll have to make a tackle to keep the defender from scoring.

Brett Favre isn't even officially a Viking yet and already he's hurting the team.

The Vikings really are digging their own grave here. They have one shot to win it all, or else it really all means nothing. They're can't build a franchise off of Favre. Their only option after this season if they don't win the championship is to go out and sign or trade for another veteran quarterback. If they don't win it all and aren't able to find another quarterback to replace Favre, they're going to be in a bad spot, and I wouldn't want to be Brad Childress if that happened.

And really who do the Vikings have at wide receiver anyway? Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice? Really? Visanthe Shiancoe at tight end? Really? I suppose if you're going to put Favre with a certain type of receiver you'd put him with a couple of burners, but unless a defense is mentally challenged, the passing game seems like it would be easy to defend. But then again that's armchair quarterback me speaking.

I really hate to say it, but more and more it looks like a serious injury is going to be the only way Favre will be able to leave the game. The guy is just too stubborn. It really is a shame too because people in Green Bay love him. I don't want him to lose the only fans in the world he has.

As you can tell I'm definitely not one of them.

Go Sage.

2 comments: