Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Celebrations

Some players are known as much for their celebrations as their actual skill in the sport that they play.

Some are one and done demonstrations:
Chad Ocho Cinco - Riverdance, Hall of Fame Jacket, Cheerleader proposal, "Don't fine me" sign
Terrell Owens - Pom poms, Sharpie signing of football

Some are repeats:
Shawne Merriman - Lights out
LaDanian Tomlinson - One hand behind the head, the other flips the ball
Luca Toni - Ear Crank
Antoine Walker - Seizure walk
Dikembe Mutombo - Finger wag

In either case, I love celebrations. I remember a couple of years ago Brian Urlacher said about Shawne Merriman, "The thing is, if you're going to do it, do it all the time," Urlacher said. "Do it when you make a bad play too. You'll never see me doing any stupid [stuff] like that after a play. The only thing I'll do is get a little happy with my teammates."

HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?!?!?!

Why would he do it when he makes a bad play? It's a celebration. By that logic, shouldn't the stadium rain confetti and shoot fireworks even if the team loses? Shouldn't you give chest bumps when you make a bad play? Shouldn't you give the coach a Gatorade bath when you lose?

If I was a professional athlete, you'd better believe I would have an awesome celebration dance/ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment